25 August 2008

Valle Nevado: The Arrival

(Ed. note: To those who have been wondering where the other meat stories are, I find it rather awkward to coordinate meetings from internet cafés. And my phone just barely functioned in Buenos Aires. I'll see what happens in Santiago. Things get started so late here and I've usually got something planned for the next day. In addition, the language thing is a little bit of an issue.)

After that harrowing ride up to Valle Nevado, I went to check in but the room wouldn't be ready until 4. I stored the board bag and went for a wander around the complex. I returned about an hour later according to my watch, but I had forgotten to turn it back upon arrival. Realizing I still had at least another hour to wait, I decided to grab something for lunch.

My second pass through th outdoor patio yielded a free table. I overheard English from the couple next to me and asked if they were checking out or checking in. Chris and Summer from Minnesota with the requisite long Os were waiting to check in. This trip is their honeymoon, having married the week before. We bonded over the appallingly bad service the waiter working our section of the patio was giving us. I was hoping to order a pizza but they said I'd be waiting at least two hours and generously offered the remainder of their's.

In typical resort fashion, dinner reservations must be made at one of the four restaurants before 6pm that day. Chris and Summer had stashed their resort service guide when they stored their luggage but I had mine so we reviewed the choices and agreed to meet for fondue later that evening. They're an incredibly charming couple and we had some great conversation over the three course meal of meats and broth, vegetables and cheese, and chocolate.

After dinner we headed to the pub in our hotel. A nice space with incredible views. We all ordered the complimentary pisco sours. Shortly thereafter the DJ started his set but the tunes were geared more for 2am rather than 11pm. We agreed to meet for breakfast in the morning when Chris and Summer left about 11:30. I departed for my room about 15 minutes later.

If nothing else, the bartenders Luis (we gave him a cover story of being in the US Federal Witness Protection Program for turning evidence on the Cyclones 13 in LA) and Paola were great fun to watch. The cashier, who was really getting into the tunes that evening, also received a cover story: accountant for a coke lord in Miami.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Like tell me about, where IS the sex? Geeezus, even my Grandma reads your blog now. You need to do something about that.

Miss you - come home already!

Unknown said...

The Minnesota marrieds sound like decent and even fun company. While I too would like a salacious tale (or is that tale about tail....I'm confused), your current writing sounds very chipper and well, sadly, kinda British.

Oh well. As Alex says, Come home now. I'm getting bored and Lee bored means trouble.

HUGS