12 August 2008

In Transit 1

Checked out at 5:15 and the airport shuttle appeared promptly at 5:30. We arrived at YEG at 5:45. Printed out my boarding passes via the self serve check-in. When it was my turn to check in through the ticket counter I weighed the board bag and found it to be 57 pounds. So yes Lee, I guess it was kind of heavy. "Do you want to remove seven pounds or pay the overweight charge?" asked the agent. "Pay the fee," I said. Some puzzled searching of various ticketing screens ensued. After about five minutes she waived me through. Nice!

The south wing is much improved over the original airport but it's clear Edmonton is not a major transportation hub. Thankfully DHS and security took maybe five minutes. Prince Albert avoids detection yet again. One highlight in the departure lounge was a Right Said Fred look-alike (wow, does that date me) but leaner.

The actual flight was uneventful but continued on to Baltimore, a city I've always been curious to visit (damn you John Waters) but doubt it still has the charm that was his inspiration. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a nice terminal, in particular the rainbow themed entrance to my concourse, a sign perhaps?

While pacing the terminal looking for someplace to grab a light lunch happened upon a trio of flight crew, one of whom was 6'4" with biceps the size of my head. They do grow 'em big down here. As I'm sure Houston, or possibly even more so someplace like South Carolina would be, the regional accent is heavy in the terminal PA voice. That distinct Fargo or Rose Nylund accent. Oofda!

Wow that margarita from Chili's was strong. Well 90 minutes before Houston, think I'll go play with the camera.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I heard about the 7lbs before I even read this. Lee and I finally got together for coffee. Were your ears burning? Now be a good boy and bring us back and big-biceped flight attendant.